Fast forward to...yesterday. Tired of both sitting on the floppy, thin cushions this sofa came with, and of that damned Day Sofa from World Market (I never like anything I do with it, and every time I decide to fix it up I get bored with it before I'm even finished, anymore. It's in the garage now), I took the loooong seat cushion that I made for it in 2012 apart, and used them to build and bulk up the white sofa's seat cushions.
|Creating a long cushion for the convertible Day Sofa.|
For the white sofa, I sliced the two larger seat pieces in half horizontally again, angling them to make a wide wedge, to build up the white sofa's cushions all over, but with the thickest part at the back to help reduce the steeply pitched angle of the sofa seat (I couldn't get up!)
|Trying out pieces and shaping.|
After I was sure of the result, I used spray-adhesive to stick all the parts together and smoothed out all the edges.
Then I used an old cotton sheet to make a cover for each cushion, to hold it all in place.
|Yes, I fixed the wrinkliness of the one on the right. It was just on weird.|
Now THAT'S what I call seat cushions. They're about 2" thicker than the old cushions, smooth, soft, and squishy. They look a bit slapdash in the pic, here, but keep in mind, this whole sofa is meant to be used with a slipcover, and the seat cushions are the same way. This thing is so comfy with the deeper, softer cushions, that when I lay on it to chill later in the evening, I fell asleep right away and woke up covered with cats.
The next step will be to create back cushions out of the remaining two pieces from the Day Sofa in the top picture. After I'm satisfied with those, I'll be on the hunt for some fabric to cover this entire piece of furniture. I can't wait! This thing has needed a lot of work, but I adore the shape of it, and I'm really excited about getting it covered. :)