19 September 2014

Tole!

Remember the antique lily chandelier that I acquired and refinished, and hung in my guest bath?

(via ME!) 


I've recently come across TWO blog posts about them -  Apartment Therapy has one up today; and Design Sponge has one from 2013.

This chandelier is Italian "Tole" (/toe-lə/), and refers to ornate fixtures usually painted, gilded, or shellac'd (to prevent rust on metal fixtures) - and also refers to similarly-painted tin trays and other metal or wood objects. They're often brightly colored:

(Pinterest, Ebay)


(Pinterest, Etsy



Or painted in gold, or darker metal tones:

(from http://www.frankie.com.au/, via Apartment Therapy)




Squee!  I have to admit, I don't like the colored ones; but I LOVE the white and gold finishes I've seen.  and I adore my gold bathroom chandelier. :)

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! But be nice. Trolls and a-holes will be publicly humiliated and then sent a dead fish in the mail. :o)