Then I decided to tackle that little footstool - the one I picked up at the same time as that side table. I got the thing entirely torn down before I remembered that
- I no longer have a staple gun, because my other one was such a piece of shit that I threw it away the last time I used it, promising myself I'd get a new one soon. *crickets*
- My spray paint stock is woefully depleted - I'm down to like two drops of a turquoise that's way too bright, a couple of silvers, and a really gross, poopy brown color that I don't even remember buying
Yeah, there's no refinishing the wood on this thing. And I can't finish the project without spray paint and a new staple gun, but at least it's torn down and ready to re-boot. In the meantime, let's talk about what a galloping piece of shit this footstool turned out to be:
Clockwise from top left:
- First of all, the sides are laminate. Crappy laminate. Peeling, cracking laminate. Sigh.
- And the laminate isn't even the same *color* as the stained wooden legs. What?!?
- It's not even MDF underneath. It's pressboard. UGH.
- The piece de résistance: one of the legs once split, and was "repaired" really, really badly. Basically someone just squirted glue all over it and hoped for the best. The leg was stuck to the frame, and some of the scrim cloth from the bottom of the upholstered top was glued to the wood. This glue job will hold, but it'll never hold weight. There goes the idea of this being my new piano stool.
Then there's the seat itself. First of all, under the wood was a bunch of crap and leaves and shit. Spiderwebs, dead bugs...this thing must've been in a garage or storeroom for a looooong time.
The scrim covering the bottom of the seat was glued in place all the way around - I had to rip the thing to shreds to get it off, and to get at the staples underneath.
Speaking of staples...was this really necessary?! Every corner was like this. Most of the staples aren't even IN the fabric.
Was it the busted leg, or this nastiness, that made the previous owner chuck this damned thing? This is GROSS. The foam and fabric aren't just dirty - this is MOLD. EWWWW FUCKING EW. Into the garbage with both pieces.
BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! What the crap!? This is three pieces of...scrap!...glued to a thin piece of luan to form the base board of the seat. The largest piece has a hold milled out of it - it looks like a piece left over from building an Ikea piece the wrong way. The other bit is a drawer front, I'm pretty sure. The dark strip along the end - I have no idea WHAT that thing is, but the wood-tone on it is a strip of corrugated plastic with a laminate wood-grain backing. Seriously, what the hell.
So, I have three options:
- Replace the foam and fabric, paint the frame and legs, and make a new footstool out of this.
- Paint the frame and legs, create a new top for it with no upholstery, and maybe use it as a very small table somewhere, probably out on the back porch.
- Chuck all the pieces and call it an exercise in whatever the reverse of "don't judge a book by its cover" is.