19 December 2012

Re-hacking An Ikea Hack

Part of the impending closet makeover includes doing something new and cute with my Ikea FIRA jewelry chest.  I'd stained and painted it many years ago...


BEFORE(2009)
I liked it, but the fabric lining came out pretty quickly, so I replaced it with paper in 2010, and it's been that way ever since.  Until last night...

deglosser, sandpaper, paint, wood glue, a bowl to dump the
contents of the box, craft wood for new drawer fronts 

painting the box, inside (sort of) and out

drawers, too, the fronts of which got a new face, to cover
up the little pull-holes that are, for some reason, in BOTH
sides of the drawers so you can't just turn them around. 

tiny wooden knobs, and wooden candlesticks,
spray-painted with gold metallic paint.  

AFTER!

insides and outsides of each drawer painted blue for a little
sumpn-sumpn when the drawers are opened up.   


The entire project cost me five whole dollars, for two packs of tiny wooden knobs and a pack of wooden candlesticks to use as feet.  The paint and everything I already had.  

Last night I also picked up that craigslist dresser, and it's even more awesome than I thought it would be.  I can't wait to get started painting that, too. :) 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! But be nice. Trolls and a-holes will be publicly humiliated and then sent a dead fish in the mail. :o)