19 September 2016

Rollercoasters and Butts

So far, I've learned two big things about the process of fixing up a house to sell/fixing up a house to move into:

#1 

This process is like a roller coaster.  Everyone says that, and I get it; but I'm actually living it right now, and it's more than the "emotional rollercoaster" that I keep hearing about.  There's:
  • waiting in line for hours and hours and hours - when it was just an idea and I wasn't sure if it was actually going to happen or not
  • climbing the hill, clicking along on the rails trying to reach the top, getting more and more nervous the closer I get to the drop - *click* omg there's so much to do *click* I have no idea what I'm even doing *click* I can't even *click* what if something horrible happens? *click* can I get this done in time?? *click* where am I going to get the money for ____? *click
  • reaching the top of the track where you pause for a second and can see for miles - wow, this is really happening! and it's going to be great! just look at it all, isn't it grand? :D
  • the descent - HOLY FUCK SLOW DOWN AAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!! 
So yeah.

#2 

Deferred maintenance is nobody's friend.  Don't ever do this to yourself again, me.  To be fair to myself, there have been lots of things I should have/could have done to my house years ago but couldn't because I couldn't afford to.  But there are SO many things that I'm killing myself trying to get fixed or completed all at once, as fast as I can, so that I can list/show the house that would have been (1) free and (2) easy/fast to do if I had done them years ago instead of doing the fun stuff first and putting off the tedious stuff I didn't feel like doing at the time.

Complete your projects. Don't half-ass things and make more work for yourself (myself) later!  Always use your whole ass.

So anyway, 

This weekend was awesome.  And by "awesome" I mean that I worked myself to the bone on 3 hours of sleep and pretty much feel like I've been run over by a truck. But I got stuff done!  I cleaned up the backyard and disassembled old garden beds, pruned trees, packed, filled nail holes in walls, installed a new garage door (with the help of a friend, and OMG I am SO thankful he was around! That was HARD!), cleaned and reorganized and packed half the garage.

And there's still SO much to do! ACK!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! But be nice. Trolls and a-holes will be publicly humiliated and then sent a dead fish in the mail. :o)