03 December 2013

Some Stuff Happened Over the Holiday Break

Things you will never, ever get from this blog:

  1. Holiday stuff.  Ever.  

I had a great four-day weekend.  Er, five-day, actually.  Long story.  Anyhow, I got some shiz done. 

Firstly


This is your my kitchen on drugs. 

Actually, this is my kitchen sans functional dishwasher.  It's been that way for many, many years, and at first, I was alright with that.  I was just fine with doing the dishes by hand, and for years I just used the dishwasher as a big drainage rack with a door.  I had fantasies of ripping the thing out and building in extra cabinets, or pretty shelving, maybe something with a curtain in front of it, or maybe a pull-out recycling station. 

Then two things began to happen:  
- my love for back-strain and menial labor faded
- the giant drainage rack started getting manky

It would seem if you don't run a dishwasher? It doesn't get *washed*.  So now it's a giant dish rack with guck in the bottom requiring hands-and-knees scrubbing. 

FUCK THAT. 


A friend of mine recently bought a house in San Angelo, TX (far, far away.  Did you know that from my home, I can drive nearly five hours in nearly every direction and still be IN Texas? It's insane).  Anywho, he's remodeling, and he knew my dishwasher was a massive pain in my ass lower back, and so he was like YO DAWG I HEARD YOU LIKE DISHWASHERS...

So we met up a couple of weeks ago, and I marveled at this man who could single-handedly just lift appliances into my vehicle!  And then when I got home I realized I could do it, too, LOL.  Not as heavy as they look, dishwashers - but still, no mean feat (props remain due).  

Moral of the paragraph: free dishwasher. Brand new, energy-efficient, etc. Yay! 

Moral of the towels in the picture: do be sure you really HAVE turned off ALL of the water before disconnecting, lest you flood your kitchen and shoot yourself in the face. 








*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *    *     *     *     *     * 



*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *    *     *     *     *     * 



So here sits [most of] the new machine, along with assloads of dirty dishes, an unused and rickety (but pretty) Ikea drain rack, and ALL THE TOOLS.  

Aside: 

1.  Cat supervisor. 

2.  Also new handles on kitchen cabinets.  Update when finished.  


You would not belieeeeeeve the bullshit I had to go through to get the damn thing adjusted to the right height for the counter, and LEVEL.  ARGH. 











Nifty stuff you find during projects like this. 

(Fun trivia:  when I first removed the original builder's carpet from what is now my sewing room, I found a huuge dried paint spill, and a large message written in all caps in black marker, circled, with an arrow pointing to the paint spill.   It was in Spanish.  I copied it down and plugged it into Google translator.  Know what it said?  "CLEAN UP THIS PAINT!!" )













Here's where we enter the comedy-of-errors part of this project, as if the thing with adjusting the feet wasn't enough (that wasn't really funny, though.  I threw wrenches at things).  

Firstly, this little brass doohickey (or hootie, if you prefer) is NECESSARY to the installation of my new dishwasher.  It's an elbow adaptor that connects the copper water supply line from the house to the, um, thingy on the dishwasher, if the two aren't the same size. I need it for the new unit.  I couldn't get this one off the old unit, because it's glued in place with magic.  

Secondly, after I  finally pushed the old dishwasher out to the curb, I realized that the new dishwasher had no power cord! 




I had no idea I could write a text so fast.  My friend says, "Dishwashers are hard-wired into the house, hon." 

"Bullshit, my old one had a plug, dude,"  I say.  So he tells me how to un-wire the plug and cord from the old dishwasher and wire it up to the new one, which I did.  Keep in mind that I'm doing this in boxers and a black tank top, my hair a shambles, and my legs covered with mud from shooting water all over the grubby floor...out on the curb, as fast as I can. 

It is to LOL. 

*

So, while this story does have a happy ending - it hasn't happened yet!  That little brass googaw is totally keeping me from hooking up my new dishwasher, but I'll be grabbing a new one from Ye Olde Hardeware Store in a couple of days.  

Oh, and also? The dishwasher saga is only part one. 

To be continued... 



1 comment:

Talk to me! But be nice. Trolls and a-holes will be publicly humiliated and then sent a dead fish in the mail. :o)