|free Ikea minicouch!|
Oh, yeah, by the way, I'm back from vacation. It kinda sucked, actually. MOVING ON...
So, Homecouch had a bit of an issue with the right arm being...flaccid? Hollow! No padding?! I mean, how does that happen when there's no tear in the fabric for the stuffing to come out of? WHERE DID THE STUFFING GO??
I cut the stitching on the seam of the cover and peeled it back to reveal a gaping chasm rimmed with shattered bits of MDF and hardboard...
|And this, waaaaay at the bottom.|
The slab of MDF nailed to the hardboard frame had split and fallen down inside the arm. Given the tiny footprints on the seat of this thing, I suspect someone was walking or jumping on it and broke through.
All I had to do was fit the broken piece back into place and secure it with glue and some heavy-duty staples. Once it was solid, I tucked the foam and batting back over the arm where it belonged, and sewed the seam back up:
Yes, the stitching shows. No, it's not the same kind of stitch on the rest of the couch. Nor do I care, since this will be covered when it's done anyway.
But for now: functional minicouch arm!
I also started cleaning it this week. Surface stuff, so far; later this week the upholstery actually needs to be scrubbed and brushed. After that, I'll add a wooden base and some feet, to raise it off the ground, and then make an awesome cover for it.