21 December 2011

Before & After: Tableshelf Printerstand Badkitty

Many moons ago (many, many moons), I bought one of those Southwestern-y looking square trunk tables. You know: rustic pine wood, pre-dinged for your battered furnishing convenience, with rusted iron hardware (because mmm, tetanus*).  Shortly thereafter, I realized I had been smoking crack when I bought it.

I refinished it a number of times, and eventually just painted it black, but it was still a big, flat, clunky table, and I'm WAY too clumsy for large, low-to-the-ground furniture. I have the broken toes to prove it.

"cabinet"
 Eventually, as unwanted furniture in my house is wont to do, it ended up in my sewing room, upended, as a "cabinet."  Yuh-huh.  I wasn't even keeping anything in it, just piling crap on top of it. (As I am wont to do).

I thought about knocking it completely apart and actually building something out of the sides, but I gave up after realizing I could really only make...a big square table with it.  (I've had a serious creativity cramp the last few months, around the house).






"table"
Not to be defeated by a table, I finally decided to just remove the table-y parts and use it as a big square shelf.  You can never have enough big square shelves, after all.

I dragged it out to the garage, removed the feet, the doors, and the center top piece that didn't open (why, exactly...?), and all the trim molding around the bottom edge.





a good start
I wrestled with what to do with the finish.

Leave it, and claim that it was beautiful in its curbside-find simplicity? Paint it a bright, snazzy, eye-catching color?  Nope, don't have any of those, don't feel like buying new paint for this.  Touch up with more black?  Nope, don't have any of that, either.

In the end I settled on using this table shelf to use up the leftover gray paint from the guest bath.






heyloogidat!

There!  Waaay better than the ex-coffee table that used to sit in this corner, which was constantly piled with books and papers, and which invited A Very Bad Cat to sit on the scanner whenever the hell he felt like it.  Something missing, though...

Now the top of the table shelf is full, which means there's no room for the aforementioned Very Bad Cat to hop up there and screw with the printer, or the curtains. Or the plant (which is an Elephant's Foot Palm, related to the Ponytail Palm (Baucarnia recurvata), both of which apparently taste really good to cats).




everything needs a plant on it (in my house)

Vertical magazine and file organizers courtesy of Ikea. Five of them for two bucks. Aw, yeah.

P.S.:

Before. Yowza. 




















* And, because I said that, I have to say this, because it's an odd pet peeve of mine:  you don't really get tetanus from rusty metal. The condition of tetanus, aka lockjaw,  (which is actually quite serious, by the way) is caused by any one of a number of tetanus bacteria, which are soil-borne, anaerobic bacteria, and which die when in contact with oxygen. A rusty nail buried in the ground? Sure, maybe (boots and gloves in the garden, people). A rusty nail sticking out of a table in your house? No way. Certainly not a clean sewing needle in a sewing machine, Dr. Guy Who Made Me Get That Horrible Shot For No Reason). 

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for that disclaimer (one of my pet rants, too). However...it is possible--remotely--to get tetanus from a puncture wound. Several things have to happen to accomplish that, but if you're talented, you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From a *punture wound*, yes - you could conceivably get tetanus bacteria IN the wound. But you don't just "get tetanus" from any old rusty thing, or from sewing needles, or splinters, or what have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, you sure don't. Stupid people. Great re-do on the table :D So, I guess I'll see ya on Saturday at Chez Jean-Marie, oui?

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way...how does one get a "punture" wound? Is that from a rapier wit?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh..mno, JM's moving Thursday and Friday! I'll be there Friday.

    I LOL at your rapier wit. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! But be nice. Trolls and a-holes will be publicly humiliated and then sent a dead fish in the mail. :o)