|the most shit I've ever had on my head at once.|
Please keep in mind that I've never embroidered anything before, and be gentle with me. This was quite a feat for me, even though (as I'm well aware) it kinda looks like a four year old did it. It's my first try. And I'm pretty pleased with myself. :)
1. First line of vines (I sketched the pattern onto the ribbon with chalk pencil first)
3. Trefoils on the fine ends (little three-lobed plant leaves)
4. Gold outlines
5. Stitching a second ribbon on the back to hide the hideous back of my work, with a little blanket-stitch
6. Reinforcing the ends with a pseudo-buttonhole stitch type situation, because...
7. Lengths of embroidery floss over the edge, and tied into a fringe, which was then...
8. Braided into three braids, which were braided together to form a single cord at each end of the ribbon.
Why? Because it's pretty. :o) And because my wimple is really only half of one - it doesn't go all the way around the back or top of my head, and it's not wrapped: the upper corners of it pin to this ribbon, which hold it in place, which in turn keeps the ribbon in place.
WHEW. That took me like two weeks. I have no idea how people do this all the time. I don't hate embroidery with a bloody passion like I did before I started working on this - but I sure am tired of it.