26 January 2011

Secret Beer & Other Plans

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago (I think...?)  Kress and I have recently joined the SCA.  Very simply, for those of you who might not know what that is:  the folks who get dressed up in Medieval and Renaissance costumes and fight with sticks in the park.  This is why I'm so busy this week: I'm up to my ass in alligators with costuming and putting together gear for our first event, which is in two weeks!

The SCA involves camping, and camping involves, amongst other things, brightly-colored plastic coolers...which don't exactly add to the ambiance.  My friend Nan sews cushioned slipcovers to drop over hers, to turn a plastic cooler into an ottoman!  Camouflage and additional seating! Awesome.

So in addition to three full adult costumes, I'm sewing an "ottoman" disguise for my rectangular, rolling cooler this week, based on this pattern:





And since we're on the subject of me sewing things, here are a couple more ideas I'm planning to put into action as soon as I'm done with all this costume business:





That's:
  1. another cooler cover, this one to turn a cube-cooler into a Moroccan pouf
  2. a drop-cover for the old desk chair that I use at my sewing table, because it's FUGLY and scratched and stained and torn
  3. a canvas "tent"  cover for the wire shelving units that I currently use to hold up my sewing table top (1), which will eventually be replaced with nice shelving, once I have the extra funds and the time to build them, paint them, and fill them with baskets (2)

2 and 3 actually use fabric that I already have in my "Storage Pit" which is what Kress has taken to calling my craft room closet, which he swears has an entrance to Fabric-Narnia hidden in the back behind the stack of spare pillows, LOL.




cube-cooler pouf:  yeah?


.

4 comments:

  1. Laura...the font on the new header on my blog is called "migrainesans". BTW, I love your blog, have to add it to my blogroll.....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! What a great name :) Thanks - and thanks! I love yours, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - Cooler into Poof is brilliant! I can't wait to see the final product! Thanks for your comment today. And in answer to your question about the Buddha lantern: Laura - I picked up the Buddha lantern at Z Gallerie of all places. It was a gift for my husband on our anniversary. He has a sitting meditation practice and I thought it suited him perfectly. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Sarah! Thanks for stopping by. :O)

    Oooh, ZGallerie - I'll have to look around and see if I can find one. I'm a medi-tater myself, and I love to collect Buddhas to stash around my house to reflect upon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! But be nice. Trolls and a-holes will be publicly humiliated and then sent a dead fish in the mail. :o)