20 December 2010

Wildebeests: Guitar Rack (Part I)

Remember the old desk I broke down the other day?


Yesterday the largest piece - the desktop - got cut into pieces...



...which got put together into one of these:



It's a guitar rack - or will be when it's done. :)

Obviously the first order of business was the stain - namely, that each piece was already stained on one side. 
I used Liquid Sander on those bits (I love that stuff), making three passes to make sure the clear-coat was dissolved and that I'd be able to re-stain without sanding (which: YAY!)  I stained the whole piece over again in the original color, blending the old in with the new into one seamless coat;  then gave it a second coat in a lighter, orange-maple-y color to warm up the wood tone a bit (the deep walnut-y brown I used was a bit...flat). 




There were still a couple of places that need touching up (because I got glue on the wood and hadn't realized it, argh!), and the whole thing needed a light sanding and a final clear-coat.   But while the first couple of layers cured, the next step was to stain all the other parts to match:


These pegs will be wrapped in this foam pipe insulation (it looks gray here, but it's black) and attached across the top cross-bar of the stand.  The guitars' necks will rest between them just like in the picture I linked to above.  Only the flat end of each peg will be visible, so I didn't have to do much staining.  You can see what the maple stain looks like on bare wood here, though. 


Same deal with the longer bars that will be inserted into the bottom "box" part of the unit, on which the bodies of the guitars will rest.

Tonight, pegs and bars get installed, as well as other parts of the stand that need to be cushioned with foam to prevent damage to the guitars' finish and strings; I'll also attach feet to the bottom of the unit to keep it from scratching the floors in the house.


I'm done with the power tools portion of this event, but I managed to use nearly every single one that I own:

  • Jigsaw:  to cut out the curved/angled side pieces
  • Table saw: to rip the cross-braces across the bottom and back out of what was left of the desktop
  • Sander:  ...I bet you can guess this one, lol.
  • Dremel:  most of the desk had been nailed together with a nail gun, so that the nails didn't show on the outside, but when I pulled the wood apart, I had lots of them sticking out everywhere.  I removed as many as I could; but some I couldn't pull out, so I just cut them off at the surface of the wood as close as I could get with wire snips.  I used the Dremel to grind down any remaining nail stubs so they wouldn't be in the way, and so that they wouldn't snag and scratch anyone reaching into/through the finished stand.
  • Compound mitre saw: to cut the dowels for the pegs and lower bars to length
  • Drill:  to screw the pieces together

...that's everything but the router.


Finished piece tomorrow!  :) 


.


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...you mean you didn't use your router to round over the edges to make them finished and protect the guitars, cats...guests. I'm astonished. ;) Ya coulda been a contendah!!! Anyway, it's official, I hate you. *sighs* If I'd started a project like that, 6 months from now, it'd still be stacked in a corner, in pieces. Like my husband's chair...all the cut lumber of which...are you ready for this...has been cut, stacked, boxed, reboxed, restacked, moved in and out of storage TWICE....since fall 1999. I officially suck in suckitude so bad...no wonder you make me feel so inadequate. :P

    The guitar stand is fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! You don't suck, stop that. :)

    Yeah, the router...I hate my router. It's really, really heavy, and so it's hard to control. Plus all the bits I have for it are all dull and chipped, so they don't cut for crap.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! But be nice. Trolls and a-holes will be publicly humiliated and then sent a dead fish in the mail. :o)